"Jewish Communities & Records (JCR-UK)"
This is a joint project between the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain and JewishGen inc. JewishGen will provide the Infrastructure and associated technical services and JGSGB, principally thorough its membership, will provide the data and JCR-UK content
The aim of "JCR-UK" is to record in electronic format genealogical and other community related information about UK Jewish communities (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands) and make this information freely available via the Internet.
Jewish communities within the UK are in many instances dwindling and as time moves on some will simply cease to exist. There are individuals and groups actively researching these communities and there are many books and web sites displaying the information gathered. "JCR-UK" aims where possible to consolidate the efforts of researchers and provide a single point of access using the Internet.
* bring together Jewish genealogy researchers and existing groups with a common interest in the UK
* provide a forum for the dissemination of information about research methods and records in the UK
* organize a group to enable agreements with archives that will benefit both the researchers and the archives
* develop a searchable UK database using records from official and unofficial sources (births, deaths, marriages, immigration data, trade directories, synagogue membership list, donors to charities) subject to any data protection issues
* share any information collected with related projects (e.g. JewishGen Worldwide Burial Registry, JewishGen Yizkor Book Project)
* establish community web pages for the UK under one umbrella