The Leeds Group
The Leeds Regional Branch was formed some years ago and has gone through several reincarnations since its inception.
We currently have over 20 members, roughly half of whom live in the Leeds area with the others scattered across the length and breadth of Yorkshire. Meetings are held in Leeds and we attract out of town members, including two of our Committee, on a regular basis.
Our events over the last few years have included:
- Participating in the exhibition to celebrate 150 years of Leeds Jewry. Jeanette Rosenberg and Mark Nicholls brought the Society’s WDYTYA stand and provided expert advice and we mounted a display based on the 1851 census showing the names of Jewish families in Leeds at that time with their addresses shown on a map. (OK, that’s 160 years, but who’s counting?)
- Two very successful workshops led by Michael Hoffman – the second being necessary as the first was oversubscribed.
- Visiting the state of the art Discovery Centre of Leeds City Museum where we given a guided tour of the Jewish artefacts held there.
- A talk by Dr David Lewis on the Jews of Hull – “What can the Hull Jewish Archive do for you?” This was a joint “production” with the Leeds Branch of the Jewish Historical Society. We will be joining forces with them to host events twice a year.
- A talk by Dr Nicholas Evans on “Jews at Sea – from the Haim to Luxury Cruises”.
- Michael Tobias, a Vice President of JewishGen, recipient of the IAJGS Lifetime Achievement Award for his work in setting up the JewishGen databases, delivered a tutorial on the JewishGen databases.
For further information about these events or the Branch please contact email@example.com
The picture below was taken at the 150 year celebration of Leeds Jewry in 2011 and shows left to right
Jeanette Rosenberg, Judith Williams and Ann Lightman